Thursday, January 18, 2018

A MAID'S DEFENCE, a poem

'TWERE little to renounce what now I hold:
     A treasure that makes poor, a pomp that tires,
     A vernal glow that kindles autumn fires,
A youth that, wasteful in its haste, grows old;
'T were little to relinquish pleasure doled
     In meagre measure to my swift desires,
     To give what nor delights me nor inspires,
In free exchange for Love's all-prizèd gold;

Yet there is something it were pain to yield,
     Which I should part with, Love, in welcoming thee:
     A shy uncertainty that dearer seems
Than e'en thy gifts, my firm defence and shield:
     The dim ideal of my waking dreams,
     The Love unknown, that distant, beckons me!
"A Maid's Defence" by Florence Earle Coates. Published in Poems (1898) and Poems (1916) Volume I.

No comments:

Post a Comment